As finals near, I am finding every.single.way to procrastinate...including baking up a storm! Lucky for you, that means a new recipe to try! I was in the mood for something decadent, and a friend recently gifted me beautiful passionfruits from her garden, so I whipped up this pound cake from my mom's recipe. It's delicious and totally not healthy but definitely worth the extra workouts, I promise.
For The Cake
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons milk, room temperature
- 1.5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (madagascar is preferable)
- 1.5 cups sifted cake flour (measure AFTER sifting)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups granulated white sugar
- 13 tablespoons (1/2 cup + 1/3 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 teaspoons fresh orange zest
For The Icing
- 1/2 cup strained fresh passion fruit pulp (or store bought, thawed)
- 2/3 cups granulated white sugar (more to taste)
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and lightly flour a 9 x 5 x 3 non-stick loaf pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt until well blended.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter until it's fluffy, about 3-5 minutes on a medium speed. Add the sugar and continue creaming it until it's smooth.
- Once you have a smooth butter-sugar mixture, slowly pour in the egg mixture and continue mixing until it has been completely incorporated into the butter. Then add the orange zest.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients with the mixer set at a medium speed. Allow the dry ingredients to become moist and aerated. Stop to scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Scrape the mixture into the baking pan. Shake the pan and tap it on the counter a few times to make sure it's evenly distributed. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the oven for 55-65 minutes, until it's golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes. Then, remove the cake from the pan and allow it to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Roughly cut the cream cheese into smaller chunks, and using an electric mixer, cream it until fluffy.
- Add in the passion fruit, and then slowly add in the sugar as you continue to beat the mixture until it is smooth.
- Taste the icing, and add in more sugar and/or passion fruit according to your preference. If you add more, be sure to beat the frosting enough to remove all the granularity of the sugar.
- After the cake is cool, you may frost it and slice it if you intend to serve it immediately.
- If you are not serving it right away, wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap. Keep it at room temperature--it will last about 5 days. (Do not refrigerate as it will dry out the cake).
- Refrigerate the frosting and simply ice the cake, or slices of it, as you serve it. Note that the pound cake may be frozen for up to one month if you wish to make it ahead, and the frosting will keep for about 1 week in the refrigerator.
I hope you enjoy this treat! It would make a sweet surprise for Mom this Mother's Day, along with some tea :) If you have any questions, reach out to me and I'll be happy to help! Let me know how you like it!