I have been on a health kick lately. Like everyone else in January. We'll see how much longer I last...haha. Anyways, I'm mildly lactose intolerant so I've been drinking almond milk for years. Recently, I ran out of milk, but had a bunch of raw almonds, so I thought...why don't I just make some???! Genius. It was AHHmazing. Here's my recipe!
1 cup raw almonds
3.5 cups water
1/2 tsp dried ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp dried ground cardamom
1/2 to 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (madagascar bourbon vanilla is best!)
- Soak the almonds in water for at least 4 hours, up to 2 days, so that they get plump & soft
- Put the soaked almonds + 3 cups water into your blender
- Blend on high until it's nice and creamy
- Add cinnamon, cardamom, and vanilla (all optional, use whatever spices you like or none at all!) and blend a little more
- For a rustic almond milk, you can drink it just like this! If you prefer a more silky smooth kind, like what you would buy from a store, strain the milk first by squeezing it through a cheese cloth, or a nut milk bag (like this one) (hehehe i know it's a funny name)
- Pour into a cute glass bottle, chill, and enjoy your homemade goodness! This recipe makes about 28 oz.
Let me know if you try this recipe! I love making my own milk because I can control exactly what goes into it. Do you ever make your own nut milk? What do you put in it?