It's almost MAY! Can you believe it??? I'm super excited for all the beach days ahead! Last week I talked about how I love yoga as part of my fitness routine. I also love weight lifting! Lifting really helps build my strength and confidence. I've been slacking off lately, but I promised myself this week I'd get back on it. I thought I'd share my weekly workout/lifting schedule with you! Let's stay motivated together.
Monday: Back & Shoulders
- lat pull down, shoulder press, seated rows, pull ups, bent over rows
Tuesday: Yoga Sculpt Class or Barre Class + Abs
- these classes offer a full body workout with light weights
Wednesday: Biceps & Triceps
- bicep curls, skull crushers, overhead tricep press, push ups (tricep and wide arm)
Thursday: Legs & Booty
- squats (with dumbells and barbells), lunges (with dumbells and barbells), bridges (with dumbbells on hips), stairmaster (with kickbacks), calf raises
- on my first rest day, i still like to be active by taking a hike or walking on the beach
Saturday: Yoga Class or Barre Class + Abs
- leg lifts, bicycle crunches, v ups, planks, russian twists with weighted ball, incline crunches with a weight plate
- to deal with my soreness at the end of the week, i'll either go to a hatha yoga class to stretch, or roll out my muscles using a foam roller
If you're just starting to weight lift, I recommend finding a personal trainer or maybe a friend who can teach you proper technique. I love lifting with my guy friends who've been doing it for a while! Lucky for me, some of them are certified personal trainers. They push me hard and are never afraid to encourage me to lift heavier. If you have girlfriends who lift, I'm sure they'd be glad to show you the ropes...and if you're the first, you can lead the way!
Some Tips: Don't be afraid of heavy weights! You will NOT get bulky--you'll get lean and toned and gorgeous, I promise. You should be lifting heavy enough that your last rep is tough, but not impossible. If your last rep is a cakewalk, increase your weight. If you feel like you're gonna collapse, take it down a notch. Remember, form comes first!
I got this routine courtesy of my super fit cousin Michelle at mxchelleFIT.tk! Check her out! If you have questions, just message me and I'll do my best to answer them. Of course, please consult a physician and professional trainer before starting any new workout routine.